As I've said before, I've not really been interested in WoW lately. Today I cancelled my sub.
Yesterday the Public Test Realm notes for 4.1 were released, in them were two nails in my WoW coffin. They are remaking two old raids: Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman into level 85 five-man dungeons, which will be dropping raid level gear. Rehashing and Welfare Epics were a problem in Wrath of the Lich King. Naxxramas was ruined, as was Onyxia, and there were Epics all over the damned place.
Granted, Cataclysm was a huge rehash in terms of 1-60, but that was sorely needed due to the 1-60 content being completely terrible for new players (people were unsubbing before level 10) but rehashing MORE old raids to give MORE welfare epics for the people who don't/can't/won't raid is a bad move, and will only cause more fucking Wrath syndrome.
Admittedly, one of the reasons I was hesitant to get into raids is my skill, the other is the quality of the laptop I use. If I had a decent PC which doesn't drop in FPS while in windowed mode on a heroic 5man, then I could work on the former. However, with new new ZA/ZG dropping epics just like ToC and the Frozen Halls instances, there's a stepping stone I wouldn't want, but would be forced to use in order to get ready for raiding. In 3.3, when I finally got into raiding, I had to farm 5man heroics to get full tier 8.5/9 equivilant gear to get into the new entry level raid, which was in fact the Endgame raid. Catalclysm looks to be going the same way right now, especially with the current vendor raid gear being available for non-raid currency.
the ideal solution for what gearing issues there are is add the proposed new dungeon - the Abyssal Maw - as a heroic-only 5man, dropping heroic 5man level gear for the specs that are suffering from lack of well itemised gear, for example Resto druids, dps clothies etc, and make people go through the actual progression instead of letting them farm five-mans for gear they don't deserve.
That's why I've unsubbed, that's why I'm going to spend my days on my PS3 and maybe a couple of other cheap/free PC games. Blizzard haven't learned a thing from Wrath in terms of handing out free epics and making people work for those purples.
Good for you. I quit too, about a year ago now. Personally I was just bored. I didn't find the grind for gear fun. In any way. It's like I levelled all the way to 80, just to be mocked for wanting endgame content. I disliked the community, though I should add not everyone, but the loudest and worst people were often running things. I'm far happier playing other games that my friends also play.
ReplyDelete